RRAbout the Somers Arts Fair
The Somers Arts Fair — now in its 19th year — is held in the beautiful coastal village of Somers on Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula. It is Somers Primary School’s most important annual fundraising event. Our Arts Fairs were established in 2003 to highlight the wealth of talented artists and creative people in our community, to foster interest in various art forms and to bring the community together for a wonderful family-orientated day. Visitors to the Somers Arts Fair can view and be tempted by the amazing artwork in the art exhibition and the wonderful array of outdoor sculptures and totem poles that are displayed within the School grounds.
At 2:00 pm the main event of the day – the art auction – takes place featuring beautiful artwork donated by renowned artists. The sculptures and totem poles are a distinctive feature of the auction, with many local artists creating these highly sought after artworks.
Throughout the day there will be a variety of gourmet foods and homemade cakes on offer, local Mornington Peninsula wine, beer, great coffee and many country fair activities including children’s games, a wide range of craft market stalls and more.
The Somers Arts Fair is overseen by a committee of volunteer parents and staff of Somers Primary School.
Arts Fair revenue
Through the funds raised, the Somers Arts Fairs have enabled Somers Primary School to provide an extensive curriculum and crucial infrastructure normally prohibitive for a school of its size. The Arts Fair is the essential way we raise money to supplement government funding.
Funds raised have contributed to:
- New Playgrounds
- An outdoor classroom
- Resurfacing the oval
- Infrastructure and facilities, including a large fixed shade structure, maintenance of the Old School House, reverse cycle air-conditioning to senior classrooms and fencing;
- Teaching and learning resources, including interactive whiteboards, laptop computers, 3D printer, science equipment, Lego Robotics equipment, reading materials, dictionaries, atlases, book circle and guided reading books, laminators, binders and slicers;
- Playground equipment and a large new sandpit;
- Sporting equipment and sports uniforms;
- Art program;
- Music program;
- Photography program, including cameras;
- Student support programs;
- Gifted and talented education programs;
- Landscaping of school grounds;
- Sound and display equipment; and
Limited parking is available to the front of the school at 87 Camp Hill Road. Patrons are advised to park in neighbouring streets or at RW Stone Reserve, 68 Camp Hill Road (a short walk from the school).
Entry fee is a gold coin at the gate.
Public transport to and from Somers
The route 782 and 783 public bus travels through Somers on a regular basis. A timetable is available here.
The ATM will be located opposite the basketball courts/Market Square, next to the toilets.